Amazon Alexa Costume
This electrified costume-prop was created for Purple Valley Plays at Williams College in 2017. It was created from two cardboard drums, luaun, a hard hat, LED’s, and some diffusion gel. There were straps riveted into the body of the costume so it could be worn on the actresses shoulders like a dress. The hat had a clasp under the chin for stability, and had a removable button so the wireless dimmer and battery that was hidden inside could get charged every night. The light board controlled the light, so it would pulse in and out as Amazon Alexa’s do!
1970's Blinking Answering Machine
I created this effect for COMPANY at Barrington Stage in 2017. I took apart this vintage answering machine and took apart a red LED tactile button bike light and drilled a hole to fit a clear rubber cabinet stopper in the top of the machine. I then put the bike light LED inside the stopper, build up a platform under the button to keep it from shifting, and put the answering machine back together again.
Portable Light-up Portrait
This painting was in THE ROYAL FAMILY OF BROADWAY at Barrington Stage in 2018. It was a combined effort, of which I oversaw and devised the plan. This painting needed to be lifted off of the wall at about 10ft high, by one person, from the top of an upright piano, unplugged, and carried down, all in time with the music. To keep the weight down it was printed onto foam core, painted with clear matte medium for an oil painted texture, and the frame was build from polystyrene moulding. The portrait light was attached with a quick connect plug, so gravity could assist in the removal of the whole contraption. It also had a thin wooden triangular hinged base attached to the back so it could stand up on it’s own (as shown).
Sneaky Cable Hiding
This is a fun way I hid cables for some lighting equipment that was meant to simulate the glow of a tv screen. This was for BEAST THING at Williams College in 2018. Set Design by Peiyi Wong. I took apart a VCR, so the lighting designer could fit small birdies inside. I kept just the back, sides, and top of the VCR, and threaded the lighting cables out of the back through some of the holes I kept from removing some cable ports. The cables were then threaded through a dummy outlet I created out of real parts. The lighting cables went through edison pin plugs that had been taken apart, and were then threaded through holes I drilled in the non-fuctioning outlet i installed in the wall.
This smoking toaster effect was used for COMPANY at Barrington Stage in 2017. I placed a mini fogger inside the bottom of the toaster, and was able to control the duration of smoke with the touch of a button. In performance, it was controlled by stage management from offstage.